Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Recipe for Roti canai

First, I must apologize that I didn't post this yesterday. (*sorry *sorry*) I had a long long day on Monday. I woke up at 5.30am so that I can go to gym at 6am... but i was lazy..haha so i slept till 5.55am then jumped out of bed, still I was in the gym at 6.15 :D gwahahahahaha :D 7.30am I was home eating breakfast and 8am start walking to work.

For some reasons, one third of my patients didnt turn up... that is FANTASTIC!!!!! because they normally just hang around in my work place and giving me pressure:p It was a great day. Before I know it, it's the end of the day and doing my last patient, she is pregnant but unsure when was her last period.

I went home hopping with joy...hehe... then went to buy a big packet of chips (salt and vinegar ) My housemates were having a bad day, so I offered them my very unhealthy and full of trans-fat chips.... hehe... they are unhealthy but make people happy :P

After that I got myself change and went BELLY DANCING ..woohoo :D finally back to business :D I enjoyed my time and the dancing . It was fun and i learnt lots of stuff but this is an expensive place so I dont think I will join it . I will just stick to my gym routine :D

When I got home, it was just in time for dinner. B and L made dinner for me. :) very nice of them :D So I had a long long Monday:)

Now roti canai recipe ..hehe :)

  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 egg (lightly beaten)
  • 1/3 cup water (add this bit by bit)
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 tblsp melted margerine
  • 3 tblsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  1. Put flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl.
  2. Add in egg and margerine into flour mixture, mix it.
  3. Add milk into mixing bowl and start kneading it to form a nice non-stick dough (takes about 20 mins of kneading)
  4. Now, divide one big dough into 10 small round balls and coat it with oil.... u can soak them in oil actually hahahaha but nah... coat them with oil or margering so that they dont stick to each other.
  5. Let the small roti canai dough rest for 1 hr ( you can use this one hour to make dahl)
  6. Coat your hands and kitchen table with oil.
  7. Take one dough, spread it with your palm and fingers till very thin, put some oil on dough surface.
  8. Flip the dough to the other side and do the same thing, spread it thin.
  9. You can twirl the flattened dough if you have the skill of the mamak who sell roti canai or you can do it my way..hahahaha, keep spreading it with your palm. Although the mamak way is better... but I am yet to master that skill.
  10. Once you get a very thin, flattened though, fold the sides to the center, like folding a blanket.
  11. Let it rest for 10 mins, flatten it with your palm and fingers again before u pan-fried it.:)

Dahl Recipe

  • 1 cup of red or yellow lentils (check the label whether soaking is required)
  • 1 tsp of coriander seed/ powder
  • 1 tblsp of tumeric powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp of black mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp of yellow mustad seeds
  • 1 tsp of cumin seeds
  • 1 tblsp oil
  • 3 medium size potato, cut into small cube shape
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 chopped onion
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Wash the lentils (I used lentils that doesn't need soaking) with water, boil it with 3 cups of water.
  2. In frying pan, heat oil up.
  3. Put in cumin seeds and onions into heated oil.
  4. Stir-fry the onion till fragrant, add in potato.
  5. Cook potato and onion for 3 mins or so, add in the rest of the spices.
  6. Add water into frying pan, let it simmer for 4 or 5 mins.
  7. Pour the potato, onion and spices from the frying pan into the pot of boiling lentils. Serve :D

Please ask if you don't understand:) Cheers.

No comments: